Assistant Arts Administrator - Kickstart Scheme
We are delighted to be recruiting for the position of Assistant Arts Administrator to help with the day to day running of the Mark Bruce Company office and studio.
This is a part-time 6-month Kickstart placement for 25 hours per week (normally within office hours Monday to Friday) with an expected start date of May 4th 2021
. The role may be extended at the end of the 6-month period. The postholder will be line managed by the company administrator and will be based in the office at our Frome studio, however there is scope for some duties to be carried out remotely online. A laptop will be provided and full training will be given.
The Kickstart placement will be paid at National Minimum Wage which will vary according to your age.
Who is eligible for the Kickstart scheme?
The Kickstart scheme is specifically designed for those aged between 16 and 24 who are currently claiming Universal Credit and may be at risk of long-term unemployment.
It’s being run by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) so your local Jobcentre will be able to run you through the specific criteria, and help you find out whether or not you’re eligible. Please get in contact with your DWP / Universal Credit work coach and inform them that you want to be put forward for this opportunity.
BlackBird RedRose Productions trading as Mark Bruce Company is an award-winning touring contemporary dance company. We operate from our own studio in Frome, Somerset where new productions are created and rehearsed before they go on tour around the UK and further afield. The company run a progressive education programme and host classes and events in the studio.
• Recording appointments in the online company calendar
• Assisting the booking of travel and accommodation for visiting dancers and production staff
• Planning and scheduling pre-approved social media posts to market company activity
• Researching props, costume and other purchases required for forthcoming shows
• Helping with online book-keeping entries to record company finance
• Attending company meetings and rehearsals as required
• Helping organise Summer School – the company’s annual training week for vocational dance students
• Co-ordinating/preparing the dance studio for rehearsals, classes and hires where possible
• General project support for the team as required in the production schedule
This is a highly varied administrative job in a small professional arts organisation. No previous experience or training is required for this entry level role; however, we would expect candidates to demonstrate
• Enthusiasm and commitment to the placement opportunity
• An interest in the arts in general
• A good level of written English and basic numeracy to GCSE pass level
• IT ability at a basic level and an interest in developing digital skills
• Organisational skills and attention to detail
The successful candidate will meet people from a wide range of positions both within and outside the company and will need to be friendly and warm with a positive can-do attitude.
The successful applicant will receive training in entry level arts administration duties, working closely alongside the company administrator. We will be able to advise on extended opportunities within the arts sector although administrative skills are transferrable to jobs in a wide-range of industries. During the placement you will develop skills in the following areas:
managing your time; working effectively with team members; being able to assess your own work; expressing your ideas both verbally and written; developing confidence; using digital communication; identifying your strengths and creating your personal work plan.
There will be regular mentoring sessions with the executive producer and other members of the company during the placement as well as training sessions provided by our bridge organisation, Real Ideas.
How to apply
There are three parts to the application
• An online application form
• A video introduction.
This should be around two minutes long, telling us a little about yourself, your hobbies and your interests. You could mention qualifications you have and any employment, volunteering or work experience you may have done.
You can submit your video using a transfer site such as Wetransfer or a link to your Google Drive (please ensure you include details of any passwords or access codes) or you can send us the link to a private/unlisted uploaded video on YouTube or Vimeo.
• An Equal Opportunities monitoring form
Application deadline Friday 26th March 2021
Interviews via Zoom to be held during April 2021
Start date Tuesday 4th May 2021
Mark Bruce Company is a Disability Confident Committed employer and will work with candidates to ensure their access needs are met during the recruitment process and any subsequent employment. Please let us know about any specific requirements or any questions you may have about how we can make this role accessible for you.
We are recruiting for an Assistant Arts Administrator Kickstart placement